The Excelsior Scholarship, a student financial aid program, provides tuition coverage for eligible students attending SUNY and CUNY colleges during the 2023-24 academic year. This initiative aims to make higher education more accessible by offering tuition-free attendance for qualifying students based on their income eligibility.
To apply for this financial aid, students need to submit a financial aid application, which will determine their eligibility for tuition assistance. The Excelsior Scholarship covers college education funding, supporting SUNY and CUNY students by relieving the burden of college tuition costs.
The eligibility criteria for the Excelsior Scholarship include family income criteria based on the tax year 2021. By providing financial assistance and making college education more affordable, the Excelsior Scholarship opens doors for students seeking higher education opportunities.
The Excelsior Scholarship for the Fall 2023-2024 academic year is a remarkable program that helps ease the financial burden of college education for eligible students attending SUNY and CUNY colleges. By offering tuition coverage and financial aid opportunities, the scholarship program contributes to the accessibility and affordability of higher education for many students. Families who made $125,000 or less in the 2021 tax year can apply for the academic year 2023-24.
Excelsior Scholarship Fall 2023-2024:
- Country: United States of America
- University/Organization: Excelsior
- Degree level: Masters and Ph.D.
- Application method: Online
- Application deadline: August 31st, 2023 at midnight.
The Excelsior Scholarship for 2023 offers the following coverage and benefits:
- Scholarship recipients can receive up to $5,500 in funding.
- The amount of the scholarship award will be determined by dividing the resident tuition rate charged by SUNY ($6,470) and CUNY ($6,330) by the amount of additional student tuition financial aid awarded to applicants for the 2016-2021 academic years.
- The scholarship will cover up to $5,500 in tuition for eligible students.
- Recipients will receive fully funded scholarships for the 2023 academic year in the USA.
- Every year, students who receive the Excelsior Scholarship are required to annually complete and submit both the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the NYS Student Aid Payment Application.
- All students, regardless of their nationality, are obliged to comply with this requirement of submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the NYS Student Aid Payment Application every year if they are to be eligible for the Excelsior Scholarship.
- Students can apply for fully funded scholarships in 2023 and receive free scholarships.
To be eligible for the Scholarship, candidates must meet the excelsior scholarship program requirements:
- To be eligible, the student must have been a resident of New York State for a minimum of 12 consecutive months prior to the start of the term.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
- Must hold a high school diploma, high school equivalency diploma, or a federally approved “Ability to Benefit” test as defined by the State Education Department’s Commissioner.
- Must have a combined federal adjusted gross income of less than $125,000.
- Must study at a SUNY or CUNY college, including community colleges and the statutory colleges at Cornell University and Alfred University.
- In order to qualify, the student must complete a minimum of 30 credits each academic year that can be applied to their degree program. The completion must be done through ongoing study, with no breaks in enrollment, unless there are specific documented reasons for the breaks.
- Must be enrolled in at least 12 credits per term.
- The student must ensure that they do not default on any NYS or federal education loan program, or any NYS award, in order to maintain eligibility for the scholarship.
- If they have previously received an NYS award, they must comply with the terms of the service condition(s).
- Upon receiving the award, they must execute a contract agreeing to reside and work in New York State for the duration of the award.
- Click here if you do not meet the above eligibility requirements.
Catching Up on Credits:
Catching up on credits is crucial for applicants pursuing their associate’s or bachelor’s degrees. The Excelsior Scholarship, with its generous financial support, can assist students in completing additional credits required for their degree program within the academic year. Eligibility for the scholarship enables students to reapply and continue their educational progress.
The Excelsior Scholarship aids students in their degree pursuit by providing opportunities for credit recovery, helping them stay on track with their academic performance and meet degree requirements. If a student faces a credit shortfall, the scholarship serves as a valuable resource to cover the necessary credits and ensure graduation within the desired timeline.
Through the scholarship application process, students can apply for financial aid and make up any credit deficiency, securing their degree advancement. The scholarship’s renewal and continuation provisions offer ongoing support to students throughout their degree journey, helping them achieve their academic goals and maintain progress towards degree completion.
In conclusion, the Excelsior Scholarship not only provides financial assistance but also plays a significant role in supporting students in catching up on credits and making steady academic progress. By helping applicants complete their degree requirements and promoting academic achievement, the scholarship program contributes to the success of students pursuing undergraduate degrees.
Students with Disabilities under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990:
Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, the Excelsior Scholarship extends its support to students with qualified disabilities, ensuring equal educational opportunities. Eligibility criteria encompass students with a disability who may be attending college on a less than full-time basis, providing them with financial aid and disability accommodations to facilitate their academic progress.
The college office for students with disabilities plays a crucial role in assisting students in their degree pursuit by offering continuous enrollment options, credit completion requirements, and on-time degree completion support. In cases where students need to earn additional credits, the scholarship program provides aid to cover the necessary course credits during summer and winter sessions, ensuring a smooth degree progress.
The Excelsior Scholarship program, in conjunction with the NYS Student Financial Aid Programs, serves as a valuable resource for students with disabilities, offering financial aid opportunities and disability resources to aid in their academic success. Students can rely on the scholarship program’s support to make up for any missing credits, ensuring they stay on track with their degree completion and academic calendar.
To benefit from the scholarship program, students need to follow the scholarship application process and provide disability documentation as required. The disability support office and ADA compliance ensure that students receive the necessary accommodations and guidance to meet their academic and financial aid eligibility. Through the scholarship’s credit catch-up provisions and disability accommodation process, students with disabilities can confidently pursue their academic aspirations and achieve their degree goals.
The Eligibility Review process for the Excelsior Scholarship Fall 2023-2024 is a crucial step for prospective students seeking financial support. To be considered, applicants must meet specific criteria related to their financial situation, including their current income and prior year adjusted gross income. Additionally, factors such as disability, divorce, separation, and the death of a parent or spouse may also be taken into account during the assessment.
For students with dependents, such as parents or spouses, their financial circumstances will be reviewed separately. They may be required to submit an Income Eligibility Determination Form to verify their income and demonstrate their eligibility for the scholarship. This form plays a significant role in the income verification process.
Once applicants become recipients of the Excelsior Scholarship, they must meet certain obligations to retain the award. These obligations include fulfilling annual credit requirements and maintaining continuous enrollment throughout their academic journey. State laws and regulations govern these conditions for retaining the scholarship.
Moreover, the review process acknowledges the various challenges students may face, such as parental leave, medical conditions, mental health concerns, and the need to care for immediate family members. Additional support or care for family members can impact a student’s eligibility and will be considered compassionately.
The Excelsior Scholarship program aims to provide financial assistance to students in need, ensuring that income limitations do not hinder their pursuit of higher education. The scholarship application requires detailed financial records and an income assessment form to evaluate each applicant’s financial need accurately.
Overall, the Eligibility Review process for the Excelsior Scholarship Fall 2023-2024 is comprehensive and considers various factors to determine eligibility and award distribution. It serves as a lifeline for students seeking financial support, making higher education more accessible and attainable for deserving individuals.
The duration of the Excelsior Scholarship in 2023 is as follows:
- For students pursuing an associate’s degree, the scholarship will cover up to 2 years of full-time undergraduate study.
- For students pursuing a bachelor’s degree, the scholarship will cover up to 4 years of full-time undergraduate study.
- If the degree program normally requires five years of study, the scholarship will cover up to 5 years.
- Students can apply for fully funded scholarships in 2023 and take advantage of this opportunity to study in the USA.
- The Excelsior Scholarships 2023 program provides five years for students to complete their degree on time, which requires completing 24 credits per academic year.
- This program is open to all students, including international students who are eligible for the fully funded scholarships 2023 in the USA.
- Five-year undergraduate programs are also available through the Excelsior Scholarships program 2023, requiring completion of 30 credits each academic year.
- Students who are capable can apply for fully funded scholarships in 2023 to take advantage of this opportunity.
The deadline for submitting the application is August 31st, 2023 at midnight.
Excelsior Scholarship Contact Number:
If you require any inquiries about the Excelsior Scholarship application process, you may utilize two available options for assistance: either call 1-866-431-4372 and select option 3, or send an email to ExcelsiorAnswerCenter@hesc.ny.gov.
How To Apply!
Those who initially enrolled in college before 2020 or earlier (2019 or earlier if in an approved five-year program or Opportunity Program) cannot apply.Visit https://www.hesc.ny.gov/pay-for-college/financial-aid/types-of-financial-aid.html to explore other NYS opportunities.